Transgender Day of Remembrance - Indianapolis, IN
Please join us for the 7th Annual Transgender Day of Remembrance.
LOCATIONThis year, we will be gathering at:
Central Christian Church
701 N. Delaware
Downtown at the intersection of Ft. Wayne (1-way going SW) and Delaware (1-way going North).
Bring a friend!
PARKINGParking is available on surrounding streets, and in 2 parking lots accessible from Ft. Wayne St.: a small one next to the church, at the east end of the building, and a larger one across the street to the north.
Signs will be posted directing people to the correct entrance door on Ft. Wayne.
PROGRAMThe event will consist of:
- Introductory remarks
- The reading of the names and stories of the victims of lethal anti-transgender violence, each death marked by the placing of flowers on a memorial, with an opportunity for individuals afterward to place flowers in honor of others
- Following this will be 2 speakers and slide presentations affirming all who live their truth in the spectrum of gender identity and expression.
TIMEThe event is officially 4:30 to 6:00 pm, but people may arrive as early as 4:00 and stay as late as 6:15.
PARTICIPATIONIt's not too late to volunteer. Here are some volunteer opportunities:
- Run a/v equipment at the event.
- Help set up at 3:30.
- Greet people and direct them to the information tables or where to take their flowers.
- Read names of victims
- Bring a flower to memorialize one of the victims
- Submit photos for the slide show.
- Clean up
All attendees are encouraged to bring one or more flowers to be added to the victim's memorial. Additional flowers may be placed by attendees on the memorial after the reading of the names.
People are also welcome to submit digital photos (jpg preferred) or text by Nov. 7th to be included in the final slide presentation. Again, please submit to [email protected] .
AFTERWARDAfter the event, people are welcome to attend the IndyPride Community Thanksgiving held from 6:00 to 8:00 at Zion Evangelical United Church of Christ, at the corner of New Jersey and North Streets.
Get Directions from Central Christian to Zion Evangelical UCC.
People wishing to attend the potluck should email [email protected] so we can advise Indy Pride if large numbers are expected.
For more information about the event in Indianapolis, see www.intraa.org or the event nationwide www.rememberingourdead.org.
All are welcome.